The environmental values of Brunswick North West Primary School support a lifelong approach to learning aimed at helping children to understand and appreciate their connection to, and impact upon the natural environment. Our school community believes every child should have the opportunity to benefit from a quality education where they learn the values, behaviour and lifestyles required for a sustainable future.
A sustainable society is based on a set of values, including:
- Respect, care and compassion for ourselves, others and our environment
- Responsibility for our actions
- Acknowledgment of the importance of all life on earth
- Understanding and inclusion of all peoples and perspectives.
Our schools approach to sustainability is through:
- Governance that supports sustainability policies, procedures and programs
- Curriculum that is developed and delivered on the principles of environmental education for sustainability
- Responsive resource management and innovation, including utilities, facilities and the creation of natural environments within the school
- Partnerships, alliances and networks with government, communities and business
- Implementation and evaluation of strategies and actions to reduce the school’s ecological footprint
Brunswick North West Primary School has adopted a whole-school approach to developing a sustainable lifestyle and policy development which reflects our environmental values. This includes making decisions based on sustainable practices with regard to purchasing, energy consumption, water usage, recycling and waste disposal. We believe that students should have an active voice in the decision making process regarding care for our school environment and the sustainable processes adopted by the school in its every day operation.